IOC’s Bach: Refugees will be honoured at Rio

first_imgATHENS, Greece (AP): A group of refugee athletes will march together in the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in a symbol of hope for the world’s migrants, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach said yesterday. On a three-day visit to Greece, Bach also said a refugee would carry the torch during the Greek leg of the flame relay and that the route would include a stop at an Athens refugee camp. The flame-lighting ceremony at Ancient Olympia will take place on April 21. “We want to turn the attention of the world to the fate and the problems of the 60 million refugees in our world and their suffering,” Bach said. He visited the refugee camp in Athens, played football with a group of young men, and met potential candidates who could compete for the first time as refugee athletes at the Rio Games. “They have no hope, no flag to march behind, and no anthem,” Bach said. “We have invited them to participate, and these athletes will march behind the Olympic flag” at the August 5 opening ceremony. Bach said he expected between five and 10 refugee athletes to qualify for the Olympics. He said he spoke to two potential Olympic competitors in Athens, who could compete in shooting events and karate. The IOC has already pledged US$2 million to help refugees, and is asking authorities in refugee camps to identify any top-level international athletes. Three athletes found The IOC said in December that three potential Olympic athletes had been identified so far from among the wave of refugees and migrants. Greece has been hard hit by the migration crisis that escalated dramatically in 2015 when more than 850,000 travelled in dinghies and mostly unsafe boats from Turkey to the Greek islands. Despite growing European pressure on Athens to toughen border controls, Bach described Greece’s assistance to refugees as “really extraordinary” and promised funds for planned sports facilities on the Greek island of Lesbos. Bach praised progress in Brazil’s Olympic preparations despite the country’s serious financial downturn and outbreak of the mosquito-borne Zika virus. “Brazil is in financial and political crisis, and is facing a great corruption scandal,” he said. “And under these circumstances, it is even more remarkable what the Brazilians have done.” Bach said the timing of the games, during Brazil’s winter, could limit difficulties caused by the virus outbreak, and he promised to have consultations with national Olympic Committees on safety guidelines by late today. Before leaving Athens yesterday, Bach said he would visit the marble Panathinian Stadium, where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896.last_img read more

Wolmer’s, Mona on top

first_imgWolmer’s and Mona Preparatory schools captured the boys’ and girls’ titles, respectively, in the preparatory and primary section of the 18th annual Mayberry Investments Schools Swimming Championships held at the National Aquatic Centre last Saturday.Wolmer’s Boys amassed 232.50 points to finish ahead of Sts Peter and Paul Prep – 148. Third went to Mona, 138, while St Hugh’s Prep, 121, and Stella Maris, 118, rounded out the top five.In the girls’ section, Mona Prep scored 151 points and they were followed by Stella Maris, 133, Sts Peter and Paul, 130, Wolmer’s, 116 and St Hugh’s 109.A whopping 38 individual records were broken on Saturday, including what could be considered a standout performance from 10-year-old Zaneta Alvaranga of St Hugh’s Prep.She smashed a record per event, copping four individual records. She won the 50m backstroke girls 9-10 in 35:19 seconds; the 50m freestyle in 29:23; the girls 12 and under 100m freestyle in 1:07.08; and the 50m butterfly for girls 9-10 in 31.97.She also anchored her school to a new 200m freestyle relay record of 2 minutes 33:71 seconds for girls 9-10.Alvaranga picked up the high point trophy for the girls 9-10 age group with 36 points.Other high-point trophy winners were Stella Maris’ Jonathan Haynes and Nia-Kai Campbell of Mount Alvernia in the six and under age group; Kajaun Haughton of Wolmer’s Prep and Christanya Shirley, also of Wolmer’s Prep, in the 7-8 age group; Sts Peter and Paul’s Joshua Alleyne and Paig’e Lewis in the 11-12 age group.The three-day Tornadoes Swim meet will take place at the same venue, starting on Friday.last_img read more

RED DOOR COUNTRY HOUSE NAMED AS RESTAURANT WEDDING VENUE OF THE YEAR

first_imgThe Red Door Country House in Fahan, Inishowen has won Restaurant Wedding Venue of the Year at the weddingsonline 2016 Awards for the third year in a row!The 2016 award winners were revealed on Monday February 15th at The Grand Hotel Malahide, Dublin during a glamorous black tie gala ceremony. The country’s finest wedding businesses and services gathered at the prestigious event to celebrate the winners of Ireland’s most coveted annual wedding awards.Unfortunately The Red Door team couldn’t attend the event at the last minute, but Muff based wedding photographer Jay Doherty, accepted the award on their behalf.Over 35,000 couples voted for their favourite suppliers and venues in a range of categories, who were then judged by a panel of digital marketing professionals and wedding industry experts.Judges this year were Sara Kennedy, sales & marketing specialist and wedding blogger for IrishWeddingBlog.ie, Gareth Dunlop; CEO at Fathom, a user experience consultancy, Mark Richardson, Ireland’s leading sales and communication skills expert and founder of www.IrishMysteryShopping.com and Ken Fitzpatrick, CEO of the Digital Marketing Institute. The 36 categories in the weddingsonline Awards 2016 include a range of wedding services offered to engaged couples nationwide, from venues to photographer, to planners and flowers.“The annual weddingsonline Awards which are now in their 7th year, have become the industry standard, rewarding the professionalism, dedication and exceptional service given by the Irish wedding industry,” said Peter Bryans, MD of weddingsonline.“I know that all involved, both nominees and winners alike, are delighted and proud that their dedication and hard work has been acknowledged by couples all over the country, and so they should be.”“We would like to thank all the wedding couples who left 5 star reviews of their experience and got us through to the final.“Thanks also to the expert judges for appreciating the effort and attention to detail we put into each and every wedding at The Red Door.“This recognition is absolutely amazing for us and comes just as we celebrated our 7t year in business this weekend”, Leanne Doohan, Sales & Marketing Manager. Other Donegal wedding suppliers who won n the night includedMcElhinneys Bridal Rooms, Ballybofey for Bridalwear Supplier of the Year and Lough Eske Castle’s Stephen Bell for Venue Co-Ordinator of the Year.RED DOOR COUNTRY HOUSE NAMED AS RESTAURANT WEDDING VENUE OF THE YEAR was last modified: February 17th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BusinessFaughannewsRed Door CountryVenueWedding Restaurantlast_img read more