Super eight! – RJR names stars for top sports awards

first_imgJust eight names were announced yesterday as nominees for the RJR Sports Foundation’s National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards set for January 13, 2017. However, chairman of the selection committee Mike Fennell pointed to the committee’s “strict criteria” for the small number of nominees this year even as chairman of the Foundation Gary Allen, highlighted the event’s remarkable growth over the years. Triple Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt heads the list of three male nominees compared to last year’s five, while Rio sprint double champion Elaine Thompson topped the list of six female nominees. There were eight in 2015. “This is what the performances indicate, and based on that, we are not lowering the bar to go to other events because it starts at the world level,” said Fennell at yesterday’s launch at, he Jamaica Pegasus. “The year was dominated by the Olympic Games for individual performances. There are other performances where people were a part of relay teams, and so those people will get special awards.” Fennell added: “It will be good if we had more in many other sports. It would be ideal, of course, if we had half a dozen different sports on the nomination list, but we have ways to go with those other sports in getting to the world level.” The other male nominees are Olympic 110m hurdles champion Omar McLeod and West Indies cricketer Marlon Samuels. The remaining female nominees are track stars Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Shericka Jackson, swimmer Alia Atkinson, and female cricketer Stafanie Taylor. The cut-off date for possible additions is December 31. Allen noted that the committee has to look at ways to increase the accommodation for the awards ceremony because of the huge demands. “We now have an event were the demand is outstripping our ability to accommodate people here at The Pegasus,” Allen said. Last year, he said more than 500 people were in attendance and some were even turned back. “We don’t want to do that, and so for the last couple of years, we have been looking around and saying, is there a way we can influence potential venues to step up to another level in terms of us being able to expand the numbers,” Allen said, noting that many of those with interest in the ceremony are key players in sports in Jamaica. The Victoria Mutual Building Society (VMBS) Youth Award will be a new addition to this year’s award ceremony. This award will focus on athletes considered to be not only new talent, but also those who are not professional, meaning they do not earn a living from their sporting discipline. Each nominee must be under 21 years old. According to Vivienne Bayley-Hay, director of marketing and corporate affairs at VMBS, the award is going to recognise Jamaica’s “next Usain Bolt or Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce”. “We think the winner can come from any sport. One of the things that was tremendous in the Rio Olympics is the fact that we have expanded the sporting disciplines that Jamaica was represented in.” “I think that with the talent we have in this country, if we continue to support and to recognise them, I have no doubt that Jamaica will excel in all disciplines. No nominees for the award have been named as yet. Bayley-Hay said the nominees will be selected closer towards the end of the year. Bahamian Olympian Pauline Davis-Thompson would be the guest speaker at this year’s awards ceremony. Other awards include the Chairman’s award, the People’s Choice award, and the Lifetime Achievement award. The nominees for the People’s Choice awards are Atkinson’s 50m short-course breaststroke world record swim; Calabar’s 4x400m Open relay win at Boys and Girls Championships; Michael Binns’ 35-yard goal in the Premier League; Elaine Thompson’s 200m run in Rio, and Yona Knight-Wisdom’s series of dives at the Olympics. (Sportsman of the Year) Usain Bolt Omar McLeod Marlon Samuels (Sportswoman of the Year) Alia Atkinson Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Elaine Thompson Shericka Jackson Stafanie Taylor NOMINEES:last_img read more

JNLR FIGURES SHOW HIGHLAND ARE TOP LOCAL RADIO STATION ONCE MORE

first_imgHighland Radio has again topped the poll as Ireland’s Number One local radio station with more than 64,000 people in the North Donegal Region tuning in each day.Highland Radio managing director Shaun Doherty.The news was confirmed in official figures released yesterday by the JNLR.It was more good news from Ireland’s number one local radio station following last month’s long awaited announcement of the renewal of its broadcasting license for another 10 years. Highland Radio’s Managing Director Shaun Doherty welcomed the news.“Once more we would like to congratulate our staff on maintaining Highland Radio’s enviable position as Ireland’s no1 local station but most importantly we want to thank our listeners and advertisers for their continuing support; and look forward to 10 more years serving the people of Donegal”   JNLR FIGURES SHOW HIGHLAND ARE TOP LOCAL RADIO STATION ONCE MORE was last modified: August 1st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalHGHLAND RADIOShaun Dohertylast_img read more

PRIEST SPEAKS OUT AGAINST CLAIMS OF CHOIR SINGER

first_imgThe priest at the centre of the choir singer row has said he has no knowledge of how the issue has been resolved. Fr Shane Gallagher was reacting to a story by Donegal Daily earlier today that Bishop Philip Boyce has stepped-in to resolve the matter.Fr Gallagher issued the statement through his solicitor in which he said he was not part of any resolution with singer Sara Laughlin. He further adds that he is “hurt and appalled” that a private conversation over the suitability of a song be made public.Fr Gallagher and Ms Laughlin were involved in a dispute over the singing of a song at mass in Lettermacaward last Saturday night.Ms Laughlin claims she was verbally abused – a claim denied by Fr Gallagher.The following is the full statement from Fr Gallagher. “I was happy to learn of the announcement made on Highland Radio at 10.30 a.m. today that this matter has been resolved. I was not a party to the resolution of it and did not in any respect contribute to it, nor did I have any advance notice of it. As of 12.05 pm today, I remain unaware of any details of the resolution announced. I wish to take this opportunity to refute the allegations made against me. I am hurt and appalled that a private conversation with Ms. Sara Laughlin regarding the suitability of a particular song she sang at Communion time, during a Mass I celebrated last Saturday evening for her grandmother and uncle, has been so unfairly distorted and that, in consequence, I have been so vilified and abused in the social media over the past 36 hours. In the interests of the people whom I serve in Leitirmacaward and Doochary, I hope to be permitted draw a line under the matter and, to this end, I will be making no further comment.” PRIEST SPEAKS OUT AGAINST CLAIMS OF CHOIR SINGER was last modified: October 7th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more