Super eight! – RJR names stars for top sports awards

first_imgJust eight names were announced yesterday as nominees for the RJR Sports Foundation’s National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards set for January 13, 2017. However, chairman of the selection committee Mike Fennell pointed to the committee’s “strict criteria” for the small number of nominees this year even as chairman of the Foundation Gary Allen, highlighted the event’s remarkable growth over the years. Triple Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt heads the list of three male nominees compared to last year’s five, while Rio sprint double champion Elaine Thompson topped the list of six female nominees. There were eight in 2015. “This is what the performances indicate, and based on that, we are not lowering the bar to go to other events because it starts at the world level,” said Fennell at yesterday’s launch at, he Jamaica Pegasus. “The year was dominated by the Olympic Games for individual performances. There are other performances where people were a part of relay teams, and so those people will get special awards.” Fennell added: “It will be good if we had more in many other sports. It would be ideal, of course, if we had half a dozen different sports on the nomination list, but we have ways to go with those other sports in getting to the world level.” The other male nominees are Olympic 110m hurdles champion Omar McLeod and West Indies cricketer Marlon Samuels. The remaining female nominees are track stars Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Shericka Jackson, swimmer Alia Atkinson, and female cricketer Stafanie Taylor. The cut-off date for possible additions is December 31. Allen noted that the committee has to look at ways to increase the accommodation for the awards ceremony because of the huge demands. “We now have an event were the demand is outstripping our ability to accommodate people here at The Pegasus,” Allen said. Last year, he said more than 500 people were in attendance and some were even turned back. “We don’t want to do that, and so for the last couple of years, we have been looking around and saying, is there a way we can influence potential venues to step up to another level in terms of us being able to expand the numbers,” Allen said, noting that many of those with interest in the ceremony are key players in sports in Jamaica. The Victoria Mutual Building Society (VMBS) Youth Award will be a new addition to this year’s award ceremony. This award will focus on athletes considered to be not only new talent, but also those who are not professional, meaning they do not earn a living from their sporting discipline. Each nominee must be under 21 years old. According to Vivienne Bayley-Hay, director of marketing and corporate affairs at VMBS, the award is going to recognise Jamaica’s “next Usain Bolt or Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce”. “We think the winner can come from any sport. One of the things that was tremendous in the Rio Olympics is the fact that we have expanded the sporting disciplines that Jamaica was represented in.” “I think that with the talent we have in this country, if we continue to support and to recognise them, I have no doubt that Jamaica will excel in all disciplines. No nominees for the award have been named as yet. Bayley-Hay said the nominees will be selected closer towards the end of the year. Bahamian Olympian Pauline Davis-Thompson would be the guest speaker at this year’s awards ceremony. Other awards include the Chairman’s award, the People’s Choice award, and the Lifetime Achievement award. The nominees for the People’s Choice awards are Atkinson’s 50m short-course breaststroke world record swim; Calabar’s 4x400m Open relay win at Boys and Girls Championships; Michael Binns’ 35-yard goal in the Premier League; Elaine Thompson’s 200m run in Rio, and Yona Knight-Wisdom’s series of dives at the Olympics. (Sportsman of the Year) Usain Bolt Omar McLeod Marlon Samuels (Sportswoman of the Year) Alia Atkinson Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Elaine Thompson Shericka Jackson Stafanie Taylor NOMINEES:last_img read more

Lee catches fire as Magnolia torches NLEX to level semis series

first_img Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed “We just only tied the series,” said Magnolia coach Chito Victolero, who downplayed his team’s blowout victory.“Credit to my players because of the team effort on both ends. We adjusted a little bit on our defense, and on offense, we just tried to move the ball and looked for the good shots which is what we didn’t do in Game 1. We did a good job on defense on their guards, especially the guards who are creating for them.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkMagnolia seized control of the game early and built a 12-point lead, 32-20, in the first half.Kiefer Ravena rallied the Road Warriors to within four, 66-62, with 1:14 to play in the third frame, but it was Magnolia’s night for the taking with Aldrech Ramos drilling a three to douse NLEX’s comeback, before Peter June Simon secured the victory in the payoff period where he dropped all of his eight markers. MOST READ Ian Sangalang added 18 points and eight rebounds, while Mark Barroca shook off a sprained ankle to tally 11 markers and six boards for Magnolia.Jio Jalalon flirted with a triple-double with nine points, 10 assists, and six rebounds, while also helping in limiting super rookie Ravena, who had seven assists, to just nine markers.Alex Mallari and JR Quiñahan both had 13 points to lead the Road Warriors in scoring.The scores:MAGNOLIA 99 — Lee 27, Sangalang 18, Barroca 11, Dela Rosa 10, Ramos 10, Jalalon 9, Simon 8, Reavis 4, Brondial 2, Gamalinda 0, Mendoza 0.ADVERTISEMENT Desiderio cites lack of familiarity with Go for Gold despite solid debut Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netPaul Lee went berserk and led Magnolia to a 99-84 win over NLEX to even their 2018 PBA Philippine Cup semifinals series at 1-1 Monday night at Mall of Asia Arena.Lee dropped 10 of his 25 points in the first quarter before putting on the finishing touches to bounce back from his forgettable eight-point showing in Game 1.ADVERTISEMENT NLEX 84 — Mallari 13, Quiñahan 13, Al-Hussaini 10, Ravena 9, Miranda 8, Alas 6, Fonacier 6, Tiongson 6, Soyud 5, Baguio 4, Taulava 4, Ighalo 0, Monfort 0.Quarters: 27-20, 48-39, 70-62, 99-84.center_img Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Weibo bans homosexual content thousands protest using IAmGay

first_img#我是同性恋 #I AM GAY We were born in China, but our country does not love us, why treat us as monsters, we are gay, we need equality, we need human rights. 我们出生在中国,但是我们的国家却不爱我们,为什么把我们当成怪物,我们是同性恋,我们需要平等,我们需要人权。 pic.twitter.com/9FRRIVaRyr— 凌晨 Artist (@Marc1107678151) 14 April 2018Social media users flooded the post with more than 24,000 comments and forwarded more than 110,000 times.One user commented: ‘I am gay and I’m proud, even if I get taken down there are tens of millions like me!’Weibo then blocked a lot of users posting the illegal pro-gay content.Got a news tip? Want to share your story? Email us . Chinese social media app Weibo just announced it’s removing gay and violent content across the microblogging site. GAYSTARNEWS- Victory for LGBT China after Weibo backs down on gay content banEurovision bans China from airing final after censoring gay kissVideo shows security attacking LGBTI people at IDAHOBIT event in ChinaRead the full article on Gaystarnews:  :https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/thousands-protest-china-banning-homosexual-content-weibo/ eTN Chatroom for Readers (join us)center_img China’s most popular social media site announced the removal of content yesterday (13 April) in a bid to ‘clean-up’ the site. It will delete pictures, cartoons and text posts, during a three-month removal cleanse.It’s a social media platform similar to Twitter, attracting over 392 million monthly active users.Weibo announced the move on its official administrator’s account. It comes about in order to comply with China’s new cyber security law that calls for strict data surveillance.The statement specifically mentioned ‘manga and videos with pornographic implications, promoting violence or (related to) homosexuality.’It specifically mentions violent games like Grand Theft Auto.Weibo users flood site with ‘I am gay’This led to a flurry of responses from users of the social media platform who flooded the post with pro-gay content.It caused the hash tag ‘I am gay’ to start trending on the site, according to Reuters. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Weibo. | Photo: Jon Russell / Flickrlast_img read more