Shot fired as players, fans clash in match brawl – St Catherine FA investigates incident

first_imgThe St Catherine Football Association (SCFA) has launched an investigation after a shot was reportedly fired during a fracas between players and fans of Newland and New Raiders FC during a Major League match on Monday. The contest, which took place at the Spanish Town Prison Oval, descended into chaos after players and fans traded blows, saw one off-duty policeman reportedly discharging his firearm in an effort to restore order. According to reports, the game was nearing its end when a Raiders player was shown the red card for a hard tackle on an opposing player. This led to players from both teams squaring off in a fist fight, triggering the involvement of rivalling supporters. According to information reaching The Gleaner, the off-duty lawman, who was watching the game, fired a single shot to calm the melee, before helping to restore order and the resumption of the game. The match was completed at full time, 3-1 in favour of Newland. However, SCFA boss Peter Reid said the association is conducting an investigation into the incident and that the appropriate sanctions will be applied after the facts are ascertained. “We take any incident like this very seriously as discipline is the hallmark of St Catherine FA and we will leave no stone unturned. Our competition’s committee is doing their investigation and will make their findings known and then make a decision based on the rules. “If it is something the rules address, we will apply it accordingly, but if it is more than that, we have to refer it to the disciplinary committee. So until those things have happened, we have nothing more to say,” he said. “We apologise to our sponsor FLOW and the football fraternity, because things like this should not happen … . It’s very unfortunate to have a situation like that,” added Reid. Efforts to contact officials from both teams proved futile. SANCTIONS COULD BE APPLIEDlast_img read more

Steve McClaren ‘very disappointed’ over Derby County axe – ‘I wanted to stay!’

first_img Axed Derby County boss Steve McClaren 1 Steve McClaren has said he is “very disappointed” with Derby County over their decision to sack him as manager and insists he had no intention to leave the club.The Rams announced McClaren’s departure as boss on Monday evening, having overseen a dreadful end-of-season slump which saw them fall from promotion contenders to finishing outside the play-off places.The news was widely expected given their dreadful close to the Championship campaign, along with the manager’s links to the Newcastle job earlier this season.However, McClaren issued a statement in response to his axe, in which he insisted he was not considering leaving for another club and very much wanted to remain in charge of the Rams.“I’m very disappointed with the decision, especially as I have on three occasions reiterated my commitment to Derby County Football Club,” the former England boss said.“The club means a huge amount to me, and I was not looking to leave.“While we were all unhappy with the way the season ended, I still believe real progress was being made.“After taking over a side that was in 14th place at the end of September 2013, we had a fantastic run through to the play-off final last year.“Despite the bitter blow of losing in the manner we did at Wembley, the side bounced back and we enjoyed an excellent run until the last two months of the season when we were hit by injuries to key players.“That was the major reason we were not able to maintain our promotion push.“I do not believe or accept that rumours linking me to the Newcastle United job were a factor in the team’s performances this year, as had been alleged.“Attendances were up to the highest average for a season since the team was in the Premier League, and the largest in the Championship during the past season.“I wanted to remain with the club and was confident in leading the side to a successful season next year.“However, I have to accept the club’s owner, Mel Morris, wants to take a new direction.“I’d like to thank Chief Executive Sam Rush for giving me the opportunity at Derby and the staff and players for their loyalty and efforts.“Importantly I would also like to pay tribute to all Derby supporters for their outstanding support over the past two seasons.“While I look for a new managerial challenge, I’d like to wish everyone at the club and the supporters every success in the future.”last_img read more