Tag: 大桶大全身精油有飞机

Limerick’s COVID-19 volunteer response calls double in ten days

first_imgDonal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads LimerickNewsLimerick’s COVID-19 volunteer response calls double in ten daysBy Meghann Scully – April 9, 2020 438 TAGSCoronaviruscovid19Keeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Postvolunteeringvolunteers Print Twitter Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Linkedin WhatsApp Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash center_img Previous articleDebenhams closure a ‘major loss’ to LimerickNext articleGardai seize 11 vehicles in 24 hour period at COVID-19 checkpoints in Limerick Meghann Scully Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Facebook The Limerick COVID-19 Community Response has kicked into action this week, with daily calls to the helpline from those most vulnerable to the Coronavirus pandemic almost tripled from its first few days.Ten days following the launch of the initiative – led by Limerick City and County Council with the support of An Garda Síochána and the HSE and backed by up to 40 sporting, community and religious groups across the city and county – the Freephone 1800 832 005 helpline number is receiving up to 70 calls each day from people looking for support across Limerick city and county.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up And organisers of the volunteer programme are expecting these numbers to rise considerably next week when a booklet (The Community Call) explaining the service lands in every household around the county.  The service runs seven days weekly, from 8a.m. to 8p.m.Speaking today, Anne Rizzo of Limerick City and County Council, who is coordinating the programme, said that they are more than ready for the spike thanks to the incredible groundswell of support from volunteers.“We’re really thrilled with how things are going so far and in the midst of all we are going through as a nation, to have a response like this taking flight as it is gives great encouragement and hope.“In the first five days of the service we were averaging about 25 calls per day but now we are up to 70 per day and that’s going to grow next week when a booklet arrives to every household dwelling of any sort letting people know of the service and with all the contact details,” she said.“So far, we have been promoting the service on print, broadcast and online media and on social media and have got great traction on our promotional video but a lot of people who are isolated because of their vulnerability to the virus still may not be aware of the service.“The Community Call booklet will do a lot to address that as it will not alone get to the people who may need support but also their loved ones who, in turn, can activate the service on their behalf.”Anne also said the most common ask of volunteers is the collection of prescriptions. “Yesterday, for example, we had 63 calls and nearly half of them were regarding collection of prescriptions.“Five were for groceries and a small number also regarding social isolation; people wanting to be checked in on. There were a number of sign-posting calls, people looking to know about other services and information and these are extremely important also.”Regarding the volunteer piece, she said: “Through the GAA, FAI and Munster Rugby and local rugby clubs, we have well over 300 volunteers already signed up. But then we have had hundreds of more calls on top of that from volunteers.“These include from businesses who are offering their services for free and we are so grateful to these. Some of the offers are specific to what the businesses do themselves but others are just offering their time and their vehicles.“This is all so encouraging. Limerick people collectively have put their hands up and said they want to help. It says a lot about them. People from all areas of the city and county, from all backgrounds, male and female.“We really couldn’t be happier and we are ready now for any spike in activity over the coming weeks and months. Ultimately, we are going to have to protect those most vulnerable to the virus for quite some time yet and we will be here to do that as long as is needed.”The Limerick COVID-19 Community Response is based at Munster GAA headquarters – home also of Limerick GAA – and can be contacted on FreePhone 1800 832 005 or [email protected] for support. For people wanting to give their time to the support network they can register on Limerick.ie or email [email protected]#LimerickEdgeEmbrace #HowLimerick #CommunityCall #MidWestTogetherlast_img read more

WHO says window of opportunity to stem virus ‘narrowing’ as cases soar

first_imgInfections also nearly doubled in South Korea to 204, making it the hardest-hit country outside China.In Europe, ten Italian towns closed bars, schools and offices to try to quell fears over 16 cases of the virus.The US advised citizens to avoid travelling by cruise liner in Asia because it said the vessels acted as amplifiers of the virus.The world modern pentathlon championships were also been moved from the Chinese city of Xiamen to Cancun in Mexico as a consequence of the deadly outbreakTedros stressed though that the number of cases outside of China still remained “relatively small”.But he voiced concern “about the number of cases with no clear epidemiological link, such as travel history to or contact with a confirmed case,” urging countries worldwide to be “very, very serious” about preventing the spread of the virus.”We must not look back and regret that we failed to take advantage of the window of opportunity we have.”China has meanwhile pointed to official figures showing new cases in the country slowing this week as evidence that its drastic containment measures are working, but fresh infections emerged at two Beijing hospitals, and more than 500 others were reported in prisons across the country.Chinese authorities have placed tens of millions of people under quarantine in hard-hit central Hubei province, restricted movements in other cities far from the epicenter and closed schools nationwide.At a Politburo meeting chaired by Chinese President Xi Jinping Friday, the leadership said the epidemic’s peak “has not yet arrived”, and the situation in Hubei and Wuhan remains “grim and complex,” according to state media. Many nations have banned travellers from China and airlines have suspended flights to and from the country. He warned that if countries did not quickly mobilize to fight the spread of the virus, “this outbreak could go in any direction. It could even be messy.”The outbreak, which began in December has already killed more than 2,200 people and infected more than 75,500 in China.More than 1,150 people have also been infected and more than a dozen have died across 27 other countries.On Friday, cases of the deadly virus were reported in a range of countries in the Middle East, including in Israel and Lebanon for the first time, while Iran said four people there had died and 18 been infected in the outbreak. Topics : South Korean sect In hard-hit South Korea, more than 120 members of Shincheonji Church of Jesus, a religious sect in the southern city of Daegu, have now been infected.The mayor of Daegu — South Korea’s fourth-biggest city, with a population of over 2.5 million — has advised residents to stay indoors.Most people on the streets were wearing masks Friday, but many businesses were closed and workers sprayed disinfectant outside the church.”With so many confirmed cases here I’m worried that Daegu will become the second Wuhan,” said Seo Dong-min, 24, referring to Hubei’s capital, where the virus first emerged.Two Australians and an Israeli evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship meanwhile tested positive for coronavirus on returning to their home countries, despite being cleared in Japan.The cases will fuel questions about Tokyo’s policy of allowing former Diamond Princess passengers to return home after testing negative.Two former passengers, both Japanese and in their 80s, died in Japan on Thursday.center_img The World Health Organization warned Friday that the window to stem the deadly coronavirus outbreak was shrinking, amid concern over a surge in cases with no clear link to China. WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has for weeks insisted the low number of cases of COVID-19 outside the epicenter of the deadly outbreak in China’s central Hubei province presented a “window of opportunity” to contain the international spread.But as cases surged across the Middle East and in South Korea Friday, he cautioned for the first time that while “we are still in a phase where containment is possible… our window of opportunity is narrowing.” Prisons and hospitalsChina reported 118 more deaths on Friday, raising the toll to 2,236, most of them in Hubei.The National Health Commission also said in its daily update that China tallied 889 new cases, up from the previous day when it reported the lowest number of new infections in nearly a month, fuelling hopes that the epidemic is nearing its peak.But Hubei’s figures have raised questions as officials have changed methods of counting cases twice and amended their figures. A 29-year-old Wuhan doctor died on Thursday, making him one of the youngest known fatalities of the epidemic and the eighth among medical workers.New hotspots were found in several prisons and hospitals, prompting the firing of a number of officials. last_img read more

USC opens new neuroimaging institute

first_imgThe USC Stevens Hall for Neuroimaging, a new neurological research building that contains the world’s largest repository of brain data, opened at the Health Sciences Campus Thursday afternoon. The facility was designed by Arthur Toga, a professor of ophthalmology and the director of the USC Mark and Mary Stevens Neuroimaging and Informatics Institute, and was made possible through a donation from USC Trustees Mark and Mary Stevens.The ceremony began with a ribbon-cutting by President C. L. Max Nikias, who then invited guests to tour the new building. Nikias also delivered a speech regarding the impact he believes this building will make on research and innovation in the field of neuroscience.“We are on the verge of ushering in a golden age of medicine and biology,” Nikias said. “Neuroscience and brain sciences in particular hold a unique place for us within medical science because within the modest space of the human brain rests a vast and infinitely complex universe of its very own.”Stevens Hall currently houses the world’s largest bank of information about the brain, with 2,867 terabytes of data from every continent other than Antarctica. In the coming year, the institute will receive the world’s only Siemens 7T magnetic resonance imaging, or MRI, machine to conduct detailed and accurate brain scans. The new building also houses the Data Immersive Visualization Environment presentation theater, where researchers can project sets of data and highly magnified images on a 12-by-15-foot screen in ultra high definition. These high-tech features, Mark Stevens said, will allow the institute to conduct further research into the causes of several illnesses.“The dream for all of us is … via the research that will go on here in this new facility, to find solutions to a whole range of diseases that ravage all of our families,” Stevens said. Nikias ended his speech by thanking the Stevens family for their contribution once more.“Mark and Mary have earned the Trojan Family’s enduring respect and gratitude,” Nikias said. “For their commitment to this university and its Trojan Family, for your compassion for those who suffer, for your commitment to unleashing the best within the human mind and spirit, we thank them once again.”last_img read more

Crystal Palace playing hardball with Marseille over goalkeeper Steve Mandanda

first_img Steve Mandanda 1 Crystal Palace have turned down Marseille’s opening bid for goalkeeper Steve Mandanda, according to reports in France.The 32-year-old only arrived at Selhurst Park in July but is expected to leave having made just nine Premier League appearances during his first season at the club.His old club Marseille are interested in resigning their former favourite and have held talks with Palace.However, according to RMC, the London club have rejected an initial £1m offer, although discussions are expected to continue.last_img